Arkkitehti – Finnish Architectural Review publishes topical and timely takes on architecture, urban design, planning and other related fields, with content ranging from essays to commentaries, project reviews and articles as well as book and exhibition reviews. The magazine also showcases novel and interesting architecture and design projects and research. Arkkitehti follows global discourse with focus on the Finnish context.
Article and project proposals can be submitted throughout the year, but in drafting the proposals it is recommended to consider the announced, forthcoming themes. Unfortunately we are unable to always answer all proposals received, but we will also consider all submissions for possible later publication date.
The writers offering articles for a certain theme issue will be contacted as soon as possible once the deadline has passed. The deadline for full articles is about one month from the ideas deadline.
Forthcoming themes (Last updated 20 October 2021):
1/2022 “Urban Space”
We’re looking for articles and projects for issue 1/2022. The theme for the issue is “Urban Space”. The articles should discuss current topics related to urban space and urban development from i.e. following viewpoints – yet are not limited to these questions:
- What does ecologically and culturally sustainable development mean in city centres, suburbs or smaller settlements?
- What kind of environment have ideals of high and efficient urban form produced in different parts of Finland?
- How can we combine densification and cultural values in urban areas?
- What kind of meaning do details have in urban environment?
Article proposals should be sent to email@example.com by 1 November. Proposals should include an approximately 1/2 page summary of the intended main points and viewpoint. We will notify the writers as soon as possible. The final articles should be written during November and December.
We’re also looking for topical urban design and planning projects to be featured in the issue – ranging from unbuilt reference plans to urban space renewals and large scale visions. However, we will not feature projects previously published in the publications of the Association of Finnish Architects SAFA. Proposals, including some images and a short written description, should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 November. We will ask for publishing quality material later on.
Projects, Design Proposals
Buildings and other architecture or design projects proposed for publication can be submitted to email@example.com for consideration. Submissions should include general information of the project, such as the name, location and a necessary amount of screen quality photographs or other material needed for communicating the core idea of the project. We mostly publish architectural and design projects in Finland and by Finland-based or Finnish designers abroad. However, international projects related to topical themes in architectural discourse may also be showcased in articles.
- Text proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. The intended scope, main idea, and focal questions should be explained in the form of a short abstract or a list with the main points written out. When drafting proposals, it is recommended to also consider the announced, forthcoming themes. Full length texts and drafts are also accepted.
- The magazine decides on the publication of proposed texts. All texts go through an editorial process.
- We appreciate standard language and clear expression, contextualising the topics and critical thinking.
- Texts can be written in English or in Finnish. All material chosen for publication will be translated and edited for publishing in both languages.
- The magazine pays fees for published articles.
- References in text, if necessary, should be formatted as endnotes. All references to textual sources should include the name of the author, the title of a book or an article, publication year, publisher and location, and, in case of direct quotation, the page(s) where the original citation appears. In a case of an edited book or journal, also include the name of the editor, the title of the book and pages where the referenced article is located. Referencing other sources can follow similar formatting
The magazine publishes both shorter and longer articles – with illustrations if needed. Longer articles can be based on research, or take a form of an essay or a review article. The length should be approximately between 10,000 and 12,000 characters (incl. spaces). Shorter articles can be, for instance, reviews, viewpoints or commentaries to an interesting topic, or interviews. The length should be between 4,000 and 8,000 characters (incl. spaces).
Project Review or Commentary
The magazine publishes commentaries and reviews on newly built and timely projects. The reviewed projects should be discussed in advance with the editorial staff. The proposed length is around 4,000 characters (incl. spaces).
Book or Exhibition Review
The reviewed books and exhibitions should be discussed in advance with the editorial staff. The proposed length is between 2,000 and 4,000 characters (incl. spaces).
Other Materials and Inquiries
For any other writing inquiries or offering of other materials for publishing, such as photographs or visual and digital content, please contact the editorial staff (email@example.com).
Arkkitehti – Finnish Architectural Review is not responsible for materials sent without request.