Arkkitehti – Finnish Architectural Review publishes topical and timely takes on architecture, urban design, planning and other related fields, with content ranging from essays to commentaries, project reviews and articles as well as book and exhibition reviews. The magazine also showcases novel and interesting architecture and design projects and research. Arkkitehti follows global discourse with focus on the Finnish context.
Article and project proposals can be submitted throughout the year, but in drafting the proposals it is recommended to consider the announced, forthcoming themes. Unfortunately we are unable to always answer all proposals received, but we will also consider all submissions for possible later publication date.
Forthcoming themes (Last updated 10 Dec 2020):
Call for Contributions: Crisis + Architecture
During the past year, we have had to radically change the way we work, move and spend our freetime. How does this affect the field of architecture? How should it change the design practice, right away and in the long run? At the same time, there are other ongoing crises demanding attention but currently overshadowed by the pandemic. What kind of attention should we pay to them, and what kind of solutions do they require?
Send your article proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 January 2021.
Call for Projects: Architecture during the Covid-19
Did Covid-19 postpone project plans or cancel them altogether? In the upcoming issue we take a look at Finnish unbuilt architecture during the pandemic. The featured projects can be commissions, competition proposals or ideas. However, we will not feature projects previously published in the publications of the Association of Finnish Architects.
Send your unbuilt projects (with necessary drawings and a short description) to email@example.com by 15 January 2021 in order to be featured in the issue.
2/2021 “Tradition & Renewal”
return to solid structure building, sustainable building,locality, Alvar Aalto medal
3/2021 “Sacred Space”
new church buldings, future of church building heritage, spaces of calm, Venice Architecture Biennale
housing trends, new apartment buildings
5/2021 “Historism Now”
reinterpreting the historical, restauration works and refurbishments
Projects, Design Proposals
Buildings and other architecture or design projects proposed for publication can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Submissions should include general information of the project, such as the name, location and a necessary amount of screen quality photographs or other material needed for communicating the core idea of the project. We mostly publish architectural and design projects in Finland and by Finland-based or Finnish designers abroad. However, international projects related to topical themes in architectural discourse may also be showcased in articles.
- Text proposals should be submitted to email@example.com. The intended scope, main idea, and focal questions should be explained in the form of a short abstract or a list with the main points written out. When drafting proposals, it is recommended to also consider the announced, forthcoming themes. Full length texts and drafts are also accepted.
- The magazine decides on the publication of proposed texts. All texts go through an editorial process.
- We appreciate standard language and clear expression, contextualising the topics and critical thinking.
- Texts can be written in English or in Finnish. All material chosen for publication will be translated and edited for publishing in both languages.
- The magazine pays fees for published articles.
- References in text, if necessary, should be formatted as endnotes. All references to textual sources should include the name of the author, the title of a book or an article, publication year, publisher and location, and, in case of direct quotation, the page(s) where the original citation appears. In a case of an edited book or journal, also include the name of the editor, the title of the book and pages where the referenced article is located. Referencing other sources can follow similar formatting
The magazine publishes both shorter and longer articles – with illustrations if needed. Longer articles can be based on research, or take a form of an essay or a review article. The length should be approximately between 10,000 and 12,000 characters (incl. spaces). Shorter articles can be, for instance, reviews, viewpoints or commentaries to an interesting topic, or interviews. The length should be between 4,000 and 8,000 characters (incl. spaces).
Project Review or Commentary
The magazine publishes commentaries and reviews on newly built and timely projects. The reviewed projects should be discussed in advance with the editorial staff. The proposed length is around 4,000 characters (incl. spaces).
Book or Exhibition Review
The reviewed books and exhibitions should be discussed in advance with the editorial staff. The proposed length is between 2,000 and 4,000 characters (incl. spaces).
Other Materials and Inquiries
For any other writing inquiries or offering of other materials for publishing, such as photographs or visual and digital content, please contact the editorial staff (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Arkkitehti – Finnish Architectural Review is not responsible for materials sent without request.